Wednesday 13 November 2013

Have you ever had your next book pretty much planned out, the characters' names and idea of what's going to happen and even how it's all going to end when....middle of the night, a whole new idea shoves it right out of bed, onto the floor and then kicks it under the bed?

This is what happened to me, so my dear Alexander McLeod will have to wait for me a little longer as he sails from Scotland to the wilds of Nova Scotia. Instead I'm going on a road trip with Pamela and her Labrador Retriever as they adventure along the Alaska Highway. Pamela is of a certain age when many women start to think about having one more big adventure--if it's not too late. (It's never too late, is it?

Pamela doesn't think so and I can't wait to see how it all turns out in the end.


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, yes, I've had a book all nicely planned out then some other idea popped into my head and I had to write that one. Trouble is, too many stories get started but not finished! Maybe that's what I like about short stories, I quickly plan them, write them and waola! They're done!

Unknown said...

I have the same problem. Too many characters and not enough time to give them life in the form of the written word. I have found that writing novellas can be very helpful in ridding me of some of my more persistent personalities. I can't wait to see what you do with your idea.

Unknown said...

Happens to me too. I'm currently doing some research for something else and a story idea has jumped into my head, fully formed. Gah! I really should finish what I'm working on first. I really - really - should. Will I?

Mary Magdeline said...

Yes, me too. Right now I'm struggling with a book and then I thought I decided to join a critique group on Skype through AWRA and thought of a different story all together. Your new story sounds great Maggie. I remember when I was 26 and decided to change my life - thinking I was too old. Now I agree with you - you're never too old to have an adventure.