Wednesday 6 November 2013

Driving and Creativity




A beautiful blue sky day here in southern Alberta, the kind of day that makes me want to get in the car and drive. For me, there's nothing more conducive to new story ideas than driving along a bare highway, destination hours ahead on the horizon. I don't know if it's the rhythmic hum of the tires or the music coming from the speakers, but plot problems, reluctant characters all float out of the mist to reveal themselves in a silent "Eureka!"


Trouble is, new story ideas start clamoring for their place along with the current work in progress. As a result of a lovely drive along the foothills the other day, I have another book on the go--a contemporary set along the Alaska Highway! Maybe the ancestor of my 18th century Alexander Mackenzie on her own adventure to parts unknown.


What have you found that works to fire up the creative side of your brain?

3 comments:

patonlorraine said...

My mind also loves to come up with ideas when I drive, and now that my commute is longer... well, I'm getting more ideas than I have time to write. LOL. I guess that is better than wondering if I'll ever have another idea.

I'm looking forward to your latest adventure! :)

Unknown said...

Yes, the rhythmic motion of driving can induce all kinds of ideas to float inside your head. I find that too, only I also find myself wondering how in the world I got home so fast and not even remembering the drive home! Eeek!

Anonymous said...

Driving like you gets creativity flowing and so does walking. In Calgary I just go down to Fish Creek Park - as nature seems to help more. And oddly - I just don't fall asleep - sometimes I lay awake and that might be when I get most my writing done - just going through scenes and chapters - making corrections and everything. Yet if I try to get up and put it on paper - my mind goes blank.